Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > Diesel Ram Technical Topics > Technical Info: 2nd Gen 24 VALVE DRIVETRAIN
Technical Info: 2nd Gen 24 VALVE DRIVETRAIN Technical discussion of second generation (1998 - 2002) 24-valve engine and drivetrain questions, solutions and upgrades.

Old 12-15-2007

Default Oil pan heater? Magnetic or glue on...

This block heater is a pita. Can't get the cord loose and like to avoid draining the coolant. Do miss the quick warm up I used to get. Can I get some type of simpler alternative? Maybe a magnetic heater to slap on the oil pan?
Old 12-15-2007

Default Re: Oil pan heater? Magnetic or glue on...

They do make them, and it'd keep the oil warm. But that doesn't heat the coolant, so it's doing nothing to make you warmer faster.
Old 12-15-2007

Oil heaters are pretty much worthless.
Old 12-15-2007

I bought a magnetic heater like that once... didn't work very good at all.
Anything to warm up the engine will help with starting and get heat in the cab, but block heaters are better than magnetic pan heaters, and the coolant heaters are great. Unfortunantly the pan heaters don't seem to do much in my experience.
1999 Ram 2500 4X4, DTT trans & TC, Smarty, 150/95 FASS, 100 HP Maxsticks, Snow performance stage 2 water/methanol injection, DSS steering stabilizer bar, Lukes Links, Cold air intake, Silencer ring MIA. 4" turbo back exhaust split to duals half way back, 6" lift, lots of gauges

1998, quad cab, 12 valve, 4x4, auto converted to 5 speed, engine out of a 98 freightliner truck (still 12 valve 5.9L CTD) pacbrake exhaust brake, Runs on waste vegetable oil.
Old 12-15-2007

when it gets really really cold I used to put the magnetic heater on the fuel tank of the ol tractor when it was gelled up, that's the best use I ever found for it.
Old 12-16-2007
DieselRam's Tranny Guru

I dont know about them nowdays but 25 years ago we had BIG magnetic heaters we used on the big rigs on the trans and engines. In Amarillo its gets cold enough in the winter to freeze a well diggers pituti! You could certianly tell the difference on those trucks. Sometimes it was the only way to get them to turn over and get oil pressure up fast. On the trans the oil was warm enough to let the clutch out in neutral without killing the engine.

But like i said, I dont know about the ones sold nowdays, ours were huge back then. There also dipstick oil heaters too, altho I have never used one of those.
The mods I talk about here is for information purposes only. I experiment on my own vehicles but do not endorse the modifications that I make to my vehicles to be used on others. If you use this info that I talk about, you use it at your own risk and responsibility.

03 Dodge 4X4 quad cab Dually. Two travel trailers, 1 cargo trailer. Lots of ham radios. Call sign N5ZYK Tech class. On 28.300 to 28.500 around 10:00 AM to 2:00PM every sunday.
Old 12-16-2007

I tried one of them magnetic ones on a loader, 8 liter Vovlo and it did absolutely nothing, the glue on big ones for the pan work, i see a truck from Alaska, he had one, it had one plug in, it powered up a small battery charger, block heater and the oil pan heater, he said that is the only way it would start way up there.

this guy i race with had a alcohol injected 509 chevy, he had a pan heater on and would heat the oil to 160 degrees so it would start in cooler weather better, his pan heater was the big one and heated the oil in just a few minutes. the oil heaters will keep the engine warn and wil help if you get the big one.
1999 3500 4WD Quad cab. 4" exhaust, ATS exhaust manifold, draw straw, Suncoast Transmission and converter, BHAF, ring?, DTT noise filter, pillar post gauges, low fuel pres warning lite, remote start, Black paint with chrome and stainless.

4WD record holding PSI D Screwcharged Sand Funnycar

1000 Arctic Cat powered Pro ATV.

**SOLD** 2001 3500 SLT 4WD Air Dog 150 with draw straw. Ring? MBRP 4", Quadzilla NIB not use yet, bone stock and sweet!

03 4WD Black 4 door, 305 HP bone stock
Old 12-16-2007

Send a message via ICQ to CaptainCummins Send a message via AIM to CaptainCummins Send a message via Yahoo to CaptainCummins

The factory Cummins Oil pan heater threads into the pan and works very well when used in conjunction with a coolant heater, but our oil pan is unique, and you would need to weld a bung into the pan. It looks almost exactly like the block heater to.
Old 12-16-2007
DieselRam's Tranny Guru

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CaptainCummins</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The factory Cummins Oil pan heater threads into the pan and works very well when used in conjunction with a coolant heater, but our oil pan is unique, and you would need to weld a bung into the pan. It looks almost exactly like the block heater to. </div></div>

I need a new block heater for my M11, and would like to get the oil pan heater for it too. It has the pan bungs in it and for that oil recycle system too. One of these days the wife and I will be traveling, it may get COLD too! I have the trans water cooler/heater for it, just not on it yet.
The mods I talk about here is for information purposes only. I experiment on my own vehicles but do not endorse the modifications that I make to my vehicles to be used on others. If you use this info that I talk about, you use it at your own risk and responsibility.

03 Dodge 4X4 quad cab Dually. Two travel trailers, 1 cargo trailer. Lots of ham radios. Call sign N5ZYK Tech class. On 28.300 to 28.500 around 10:00 AM to 2:00PM every sunday.
Old 12-16-2007

Up here in Alaska most dealers offer a cold weather start up kit. They include the block heater with a higher rated element, a large glue on oil pan heater and battery blanket. When it's 40 below, that is the only way to get your vehicle to start. And yes, the oil pan heaters work, but I don't know the brand name.

Call Gene's Chrysler in Fairbanks, they can hook you up with a high quality one.
907-452-7117
1997 Ram 3500 Club Cab Dually SLT 5.9l Cummins