Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > Diesel Ram Technical Topics > Technical Info: 1st Generation
Technical Info: 1st Generation Technical discussion of first generation (1989 - 1993) questions, solutions and upgrades. All 1st generation topics are suitable for this forum.

Old 01-08-2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougar View Post
Hey Joe, don't push your shoulders. When you get old and decerped like a few of us here you can't get them pack. I haven't been able to hold anything over my head sense 1997 without a lot of pain.
Man, I am with you there but it is too late. I had a bicep tendon relocation and rotator cuff rebuild in 2018, blew that repair up 8 months later on a service trip, had it repaired again and it lasted almost 2 years before recently blowing up again. Anything done above my head on that arm grinds and hurts but I'm not going through PT again. I'll live with it or work around it.
Old 01-08-2021

Thanks to the links posted by Clunk, I was able to get the odo apart and the gears out. You can't see it now because the little one fell apart when I touched it, but it was missing a tooth and seized to the shaft. Also attached is a photo of the replacement gear set. Receipt says I bought them in Feb of 2016, hard to believe I've had the truck that long but I couldn't drive it for a few years due to the shoulder issues.
As I may have mentioned earlier, this is the original cluster from the truck and the speedometer was all over the place and the gauges were iffy so I replaced it with a cluster from a 91 D150 I parted out for a bad transmission but the gauges and speedo worked. This one was sort of a crash test dummy for fixing the D150 cluster.
That D150 speedo worked for a while but quit after working randomly. The speedo board in the original cluster looks sort of corroded so I will redo the odometer gears on the D150 cluster and put that back in the truck. Also, the D150 apparently moved the Check Engine light somewhere else because I have a Gate Open light that comes on when I start the truck, must be for a Ramcharger. I'll swap the faceplates that have the acetates for the gauge displays so I have a check engine light again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6055 resized.JPG (55.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6056 resized.JPG (59.8 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6057 resized.JPG (51.6 KB, 1 views)
Old 01-08-2021

Wow Joe, that doesn't look easy.
01.5,Red QC Sport SWB,HO,6spd,4x4,cowl hood, Drag Comp,4"ex., fuel press. gauge, boost&pyro gauges, bhaf, single Holley lift pump next to the fuel tank/13psi WOT, Vulcan Big Line, cheapo fuel cooler, Amsoil in the trans. & Valvoline in the pan, 63-65-.70A/R, ARP studs, kevlar/ceramic SD clutch, jammer 100's

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetfueljockey View Post
Doc says I'm in pretty good shape for an 83 year old guy.....one of these days I need to tell him I'm 59.

Time to turn so's you don't burn.
Old 01-09-2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clunk View Post
Wow Joe, that doesn't look easy.
It actually wasn't bad but I'll know for sure when it is back together and working. I replaced the cluster already so I knew how that came apart. Biggest problem is that the little gear assembly sort of fell out and it has that semi circular ridge on one side that probably matches up somehow. I will matchmark the gear on the good cluster so I know how to put it back in correctly.
I saw somewhere that people use TriFlow on the shafts to be sure they stay lubed, we have that at work but I forgot to bring a can of it home with me yesterday.
I'll post more as it goes back together. Might as well start another thread on the stuff on the list as I get into it, to keep everyone entertained.
Old 01-09-2021

And, it's all back together with new gears. It went back together really easily and everything is back where it was so the new gears seemed to have meshed where they needed to.

Replaced the bad bulb on the turnsignal indicator.

I had to give up on swapping GATE OPEN and CHECK ENGINE acetates (or whatever they are called), that black plastic bezel is very fragile and I cracked it getting the CHECK ENGINE off. I would have just swapped the bezels but the cork gasket had slid down over the lettering so I had to try to get it off to realign everything and it cracked.

I also cleaned the contact pins for the speedometer with scotchbrite in case they were corroded somehow but I suspect the problem is in the wiring somewhere, maybe where it passes through the firewall.

Next task is to replace the HVAC light and then I can put it all back together. Once I get the bucket seats in I can drive it and see if it works.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5906 resized.JPG (50.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5908 resized.JPG (41.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5909 resized.JPG (28.8 KB, 4 views)
Old 01-18-2021

Replaced the HVAC light bulb and managed to crack the dash tab on the right side where the HVAC unit mounts. Too cold for epoxy to set so it looks like it will be warm weather before I can put it back together.
Old 01-18-2021
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to MAXTORQ Send a message via Skype™ to MAXTORQ

Joe there is a place here in Denver that specializes in those types of heads. The place is Deluxe Speedometer. Anytime I have one of these heads I send it to them. However they do sell parts too.

https://deluxespeedometer.com/

www.maxtorqdiesel.com
Old 01-20-2021

Thanks MT. if I can't get it working, I will contact them.