Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > Diesel Ram Technical Topics > Technical Info: 2nd Gen 24 VALVE DRIVETRAIN
Technical Info: 2nd Gen 24 VALVE DRIVETRAIN Technical discussion of second generation (1998 - 2002) 24-valve engine and drivetrain questions, solutions and upgrades.

Old 11-29-2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman View Post
@Smoke: Actually 2.1*6 = 12.6

I'll get back on this in the next couple of days. I'd sure hate to start throwing parts. Will look up how old other sensors and the VP are.

?
LOL... You're right. It's 2.2v per cell...depending on who you ask.
H&S mini maxx, something fell off under the truck 270k mi
My Other Truck is a Fire Engine!!
Old 12-03-2021

I'm hoping to get back on this soon but don't have a real direction. Crank sensor is replaced. Batteries are fully charged. Starter contacts are nice and large and shiny. Starter bendix moves freely. Engine spins normally.

Running an old AirDog 100 from before the time when they had problems. Fuel filters haven't been changed but loaded and idle fuel pressures haven't changed. I may put new filters in simply because of the time factor and to check for leaks/air indications.

I still frequently have a long crank. Will try parking on an angle but always have to look up whether up or down does what.
Edit: I looked and downhill should start easily and uphill hard if there is an air leak. I hope that's what it is because the fix is easy and cheap.
2000 Quad Cab,Longbed, NV4500, 410 Gears, 4X4, ISSPro gauges, Thuren 3rd Gen Trackbar (beautiful), AGR Steering Box - box works - NOPE, spoke too soon. Never AGR again. 2 dumped fluid & lost brakes & steering, 4th is too loose. AGR = pp quality control & long wait for replacement (doing something different. Will update with what works), DSS Steering Brace, AirDog 100 = 13# solid, Rusty Doors (POR15 at the bottom for now covered with color match Rustoleum)

Last edited by Junkman; 12-03-2021 at 08:45 AM..
Old 12-08-2021

I'm thinking it's losing prime between the fuel pump (AirDog) and VP. Does the AirDog have a check valve to keep fuel on the VP inlet from draining back to the tank?

I've seen threads where people added a check valve but am wondering whether there is a stock location. I know about the over flow valve but that's on the side of the VP and deals with excess fuel that goes back to the tank. The inlet side is different.
2000 Quad Cab,Longbed, NV4500, 410 Gears, 4X4, ISSPro gauges, Thuren 3rd Gen Trackbar (beautiful), AGR Steering Box - box works - NOPE, spoke too soon. Never AGR again. 2 dumped fluid & lost brakes & steering, 4th is too loose. AGR = pp quality control & long wait for replacement (doing something different. Will update with what works), DSS Steering Brace, AirDog 100 = 13# solid, Rusty Doors (POR15 at the bottom for now covered with color match Rustoleum)
Old 12-13-2021

No I have no idea where to go inexpensively. The fittings and lines from the fuel pump to the VP are tight and dry. It long cranks whether level, up hill or down hill. Oil level is where it's supposed to be and pulling the dip stick shows no sign of fuel mixing with oil.

I may just drive it until it does something definite that can be diagnosed but I'd rather fix it now. The local shop wanted to just put a VP in at a price of almost $2,000 out the door parts and labor - not going to happen.
Old 01-02-2022

I've been sidetracked but think the over flow valve is bad and perhaps the apps.

It starts pretty quickly when I bump the starter to force the fuel pump to run and then tap the accelerator pedal. Doing one or the other still has the long crank. The valve can be tested and I expect so can the apps.

I'll have time in a few days when the truck can be taken down.

Comments? Bets?
Old 01-04-2022
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to MAXTORQ

There are tons of posts about me talking about these pumps at nauseum. So long as you have good fuel 12 to 14 psi pressure at the pump and you have adequate cranking rpm and a good signal from both the Cam and Crank sensors on your truck, then my bet is that you have bad VP.

www.maxtorqdiesel.com
Old 01-06-2022

MAX is by far the expert and the VP is certainly problematic.

My money would still be on an air leak in the fuel system.
The overflow valve would probably cause a similar issue.

My 'last' vp, I had long start issues. There were other issues as well, but after changing the VP I still had hard starts first thing in the morning.
Air leak.
H&S mini maxx, something fell off under the truck 270k mi
My Other Truck is a Fire Engine!!

Last edited by smokediver; 01-06-2022 at 06:55 AM..
Old 01-08-2022

I get long cranks when I change injector nozzles/air in the system or when the vp went bad. The vp was wore out and couldn't pump enough pressure to overcome the injector "pop" pressure while cranking over with the starter. It started with a shot of ether and ran well but after shutting off, it would not start back.
01.5,Red QC Sport SWB,HO,6spd,4x4,cowl hood, Drag Comp,4"ex., fuel press. gauge, boost&pyro gauges, bhaf, single Holley lift pump next to the fuel tank/13psi WOT, Vulcan Big Line, cheapo fuel cooler, Amsoil in the trans. & Valvoline in the pan, 63-65-.70A/R, ARP studs, kevlar/ceramic SD clutch, jammer 100's

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetfueljockey View Post
Doc says I'm in pretty good shape for an 83 year old guy.....one of these days I need to tell him I'm 59.

Time to turn so's you don't burn.
Old 02-25-2022

For the record, the over flow valve improved the situation but didn't completely fix it.

I tested the old OFV by connecting a bicycle pump to the bottom hole. It leaked 100% unless I plugged the side hole with my finger. Then it leaked at ~8 or less pounds. I didn't think to test the new one to see whether it was different.

The FSM says to blow air and it should open at 14# so I'm hoping I tested the right way.

The truck needs several things that I've been putting off while building a shop. Even the shop has been like pushing a rope and materials are stoopid expensive. Simple 2" conduit is close to $40 for a 10" stick especially when you count TN 10% sales tax.
Old 02-26-2022

try buying a gently used bobcat or getting a new trencher out of factory ordered in November
2005 SLT 2500 3.73 Automatic, reg cab, spray in liner, stull runnin boards,12 volt winch power to bed, slide out loading ramp 4ft by 8ft.Bone stock silencer now MIA 95 gph fass adjustable pump and straw kit
06 dodge 1/2 ton 2wd gasser 4.7 l auto [replacement for giving the son the ford] went to my mother 2017 1500 5.7hemi 60,000 original miles traded in for a 2021 dodge ram 1500 brand new and not white ordered in. wife has 2018 Cadillac XTS